How am I trained?
I'm a mom, and I'm in the thick of it. Nothing beats that experience.
With specialty training, I have the knowledge, education and all of the tools and resources I need as a Certified Gentle Sleep Coach® to work successfully with families of 0 to 6 year old babies and children in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.
What is Gentle Sleep Coaching?
The Gentle Sleep Coach® (GSC) program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coaching certification program available. The program involves more than 80 hours of training, an exam and participation in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (aka The Sleep Lady®) who has been helping tired parents for nearly two decades. Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach®.
As a Certified Gentle Sleep Consultant, I have received training on topics that include:
- Basic counselling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioural modification techniques
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Postpartum Depression from Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr. Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- Sensory Processing Disorders and Sleep by Jodi Jennings, OTLR
The Gentle Sleep Coach® (GSC) program also includes an exclusive advanced training series directly centred on how to gently work with four-month old and five-month old babies. I have completed more than 40 hours of instruction and mentorship for this special certification within the Gentle Sleep Coach® (GSC) program.
Training I have received in this special designation includes such topics as:
- In-depth knowledge about the delicate nature of infants under six months of age and how to consider all elements of their wellbeing.
- Current evidence-based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate the four-month old, five-month old and six-month old child and family and determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
- Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
This specialty training is designed to give coaches the knowledge, education and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families of babies 4-6 months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.